Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 4: Orphanage 14

This is it, the day we knew was coming and all were a little hesitant about. But let me tell you that God did amazing things on this day. Things I didn't see coming at all, but things that were reminiscent of the spiritual battle we are fighting day in and day out...

Some of you may remember from our last trip that we referenced one of our stops as the "sad orphanage." We noticed at a this place a heavy, deep sadness in the eyes of these kids that was different from the others. The care takers seemed to be short tempered and there were rumors of abuse by the director of both the care takers and the kids. It happened to rain this day last year and we couldn't get the kids to open up hardly at all. In general, it just felt kinda miserable.

So we did a lot of prep-praying. We prayed for God to open doors to their hearts, to bind the evil and darkness at work, to protect the kids and us as we talked to them, to defend His children, etc. We knew this could be a tough day, but we also knew that these were kids that needed a message of hope. So Paula read scripture in the morning, we prayed, and we sang worship songs all the way to the camp--all the way up to the doorstep, if you will. It was fantastic. I seriously felt like we were in a movie: angels flying next to the bus swatting off demons as we sang and drove our way into a layer where evil thinks it can make a home.  If you've ever read any Frank Peretti, I swear we just lived out a chapter or two! Anyway, we got there and it went much differently than last time. We got to again started the day with basketball, volleyball, soccer, football and the like. This got the kids laughing and we got a workout (ha!). This was our morning, along with a few crafts. Then after lunch we came back to do the scavenger hunt and spend some more time with them. It went wonderfully, considering what we thought may happen.

THEN the director decided to appear and share some things with us.  Before I go on, I will admit that I needed to repent for some of the thoughts I was having when I saw him and when I had to listen to him speak. But God was moving in me and maybe some others...   When he came out the kids and care takers lined up in straight lines as if they were in the military. We also were told to line up for him to speak. (Okay seriously, can you imagine what I'm thinking right now?!) We listened and he said some mumbo jumbo about how they start like this every day, and he stands in front of this flag to show something or other, and how it's good that we're there cause the kids deserve to be loved. At this point, I was probably the closest to going to jail that I'll ever be in my life because I almost laughed out loud when he said that. I'm not sure if he felt the need to show us what kind of ship he runs as though we should admire him for that, or why he even felt the need to come out since we didn't see him all day prior.  But my insides were angry. I felt sick to my stomach even looking at him and I wanted to cry for the kids. More on this in a minute...

After that Christian shared his testimony with the kids and I got to wrap up with the bottom line of why we were there: because Jesus loves them more than they'll ever know, even if their circumstances and feelings don't seem to line up with that. I told them that His love is what brought us there and that we've greatly enjoyed spending the day with them and will be praying for them. We began to say good bye to them and the ladies, and to wrap up the day. On our way out, I passed a care taker and stopped to say thank you for all she is doing every day with the kids. I told her we'd be praying, but as I was speaking something inside said pray right now. So I did. Anya translated; and it was fabulous to be able to pray over her like that.  I hugged her and left. But later, Anya came up to me a little teary and said that she was so grateful for that prayer because she had just buried her father two days before. I had no idea... Seriously God?! You are so amazing I can't even stand it!  I love it when He does things like that...

So on the bus I'm still feeling sick to my stomach and just angry about that man, I think his name is Genada. Some of us were talking and I just had a hard time holding back tears of anger. But again, something told me to pray for him. At first I hesitated cause I didn't want to. He hurts children; I don't want to pray for him. But that's exactly why it needed to happen. So as the bus drove out of the camp, we did battle for him, asking God to break the chains of evil wrapped around him; to convict him and call to him, etc. Through my tears and anger, we lifted up the one who needed prayer the most. It was prob one of the most difficult things I did on this trip. But that's what scripture says: love your enemies and pray for those who hurt you. After we said Amen we left the same way we came in: worshipping, singing "Mighty to Save." Seriously......!!!

God is a big God, and I have decided that even though the thought of him hurts my heart, I need to keep praying for Genada. I know He can save, so that's what I'm praying for. He won't force Genada to come to Him, but scripture says the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. So let's do it folks! Let's pray him out of the darkness and evil that's in His life right now.  I do that, and I also thank God for what He has done and is doing at that camp and in those kids through the kind care takers, for what He did in my own heart, and for allowing us in there at all. Seriously there is no reason, especially w/a director like that, that we should be allowed to have direct access with those kids and tell them about Jesus so out-rightly. I honestly believe that the battle is raging! I believe Heaven celebrated as the word of God was preached that day. Praise Jesus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment